Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Complete Natural

I always knew my husband Bradd would be a great father. Afterall, he had practice being the youth leader at his church for several years. His high energy level kept the youth quite active and never bored. I would often walk in and Bradd would be running around playing games with them, or he would be in the center of the room as the kids "Attacked" him. ;) Once Bradd become an uncle, I saw that same playful spirit come out, as his nephews became toddlers.


So, in the sense of being an entertaining father, I knew Bradd would be great.


Once we got married and became the parents of our two four-legged babies, Rose and Charley, I got to see some more pre-parenting skills come into play. Again, Bradd did a great job entertaining our dogs. Soon though, I began to see how great Bradd was at making Rose and Charley behave. To this day, if Rose or Charley are being disobedient, all I have to do is yell for Bradd to come, and they will stop in their tracks. If they know their daddy is watching, they know better than to misbehave! ;)


So, in the sense of being a father who will teach his children discipline, I knew Bradd would be great.


Once I became pregnant, I began to see other characteristics in Bradd. When he made the decision to become a stay-at-home dad, his self-sacrificing spirit melted my heart. He was excited to stay at home with our son, even if it meant giving up an opportunity for advancement in his carreer.


So, in the sense of being a loving father, I knew Bradd would be great.

Now that Oliver is here, my husband has truly surpassed all of my expectations. Of course, since our son is only one month old, the entertaining and disciplinarian characteristics of fatherhood has yet to flourish. ;) The loving part...oh, the love for Oliver I see in Bradd is honestly the most beautiful thing in the world. Bradd told me he feels closer to God because of Oliver. The reason for this is he feels like he has a better understanding of the love God has for us.  The night Oliver was born, eventually Bradd drove home real quick to feed Rose and Charley. Bradd cried all the there, overwhelmed with the love he felt for Oliver.


So, what other characteristic was I yet to behold?


From the second Oliver was born, Bradd's fatherly skills came so naturally, I was astonished. From holding, swaddling, feeding, burping, changing, and soothing Oliver...Bradd was a complete natural. Watching him interact with Oliver is as if he has done it for years. It is as if Bradd was made to be a stay-at-home dad. It's funny...growing up, I always dreamed of staying home with my children. Deep down, I still do...however, I know God orchestrated things to be the way they are right now for a reason. When I observe my husband take care of our son, my heart melts in amazement. Bradd is so happy taking care of Oliver, and Oliver is so content when he is with his daddy. The bond they are forming is the most precious thing to me.


So, when people say, "Once you have a baby of your own, you will just 'Know' what to do.", they are right. At least when it comes to my husband...me on the other hand, I'm still working on it. ;)


Here are some daddy and son pictures:









1 comment: